Project: B adds tripping to Super Smash Bros. Melee


Project: B adds tripping to Super Smash Bros. Melee screenshot

A couple years ago, I wrote about why I like tripping in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, (reviewed here for Destructoid by Battleborn writer Aaron Linde), and people really seemed to care about what I had to say. The post apparently got so big that even Masahiro Sakurai, the creator of Smash Bros. himself, got around to reading it. From what I've heard, he was quite touched by my appreciation of one of his most deeply despised design decisions. On the other hand, a lot of other people were really angry about my declaration of love for bad luck problems in Smash. If you're one of those people, I'm sorry! It wasn't my plan to make anyone mad. 

Dan Salvato, creator of the Melee mod 20XXTE, doesn't want to make anyone mad either. That's probably why he's kept tripping out of that particular hack, though he has included it in a probably-a-joke-but-I-wish-it-was-real mod called Project B. The last time I decided that a joke game was real, it turned out I was right, so maybe it will work this time as well? Either way, it's great to see that some in the Smash community have a good sense of humor about tripping by Star Fox. 

Dan's also working on adding airdodge canceling to Melee, though he wants that mechanic to cost meter. I wonder if Sakurai will read about that too? Sounds like a great idea for the next official game in the Smash series.